2016 Sharing Time Outline Theme: "I Know the Scriptures Are True"
March 2016 Sharing Time Topic: Heavenly Father Speaks to Us through His Prophets
March 2016 Scripture: “What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, … whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same” (D&C 1:38).
March 2016 Song: “Stand for the Right” (CS, 159)
March Week 4 Topic: There is safety in following the prophet.
March Week 4 Topic: There is safety in following the prophet.
Prayerfully study and think about what the specific needs of your primary are and how you can teach them this doctrine. Print the
cut everything out. Paste the prophet quote onto the back of the coordinating safety sign (they are on the same paper).
Sharing Time Instruction:
Begin sharing time by asking the following question, "If you were driving a car, what kind of things could keep you safe on the road?" Thank the primary children for their answers. Explain that if we didn't have rules, laws and road signs we could be in danger when we drive. If we are walking or riding our bikes near roads we also need to follow the signs and rules to keep us safe.
Show the primary children the week's theme poster and invite them to repeat, "There is safety in following the prophet."
(See all of the Dangers in the Free download above)
Around the room or on the board, place some black paper (construction paper of wrapping paper would work great (place white or yellow dotted lines down the center) all leading to a picture of the Savior. Along the road path place dangers (see the free download). Invite an older primary child to come up and read the dangers along the road way to the rest of the primary. Explain that just as roadways have dangers, we also have dangers in our lives. Explain that just as we need signs to direct us on the roadways, we also need prophets in our lives to give us guidance and direction to keep us safe. When we follow their direction, we can be free from dangers.
(See all of the Safety Signs in the Free Download above)
On the floor place the safety signs. Invite a primary child to come up and toss a bean bag onto one of the safety signs. Invite them to pick that sign up and read what direction is on it from one of the prophets. Then they will need to pick a friend to go and place the safety sign in front of the danger that it would protect us from. Discuss each safety sign as a primary. Continue with each safety sign, inviting a new child to come up.
Close by inviting the primary children to stand up and sing the song "Follow the Prophet". Invite them to do actions or to march in place.
Danger, Safety Signs and Discussion: (See the free pdf download above)
* Flood of Bad Language...Caution Watch Your Language ("If you have the habit, how do you break it? You begin by making a decision to change. The next time you are prone to use words you know to be wrong, simply stop. Keep quiet or say what you have to say in a different way. As you practice such restraint, it will become easy." - President Hinkley October 1987 General Conference, "Take Not the Name of God in Vain") Discussion: Once you start speaking bad language it becomes a habit and will flood into your life. President Hinkley teaches us how to overcome that habit and be free from the destructive dangers of bad language.
* Fallen Morals... Stop and have High Morals ("The world may have its norm; the Church has a different one. It may be considered normal by the people of the world to use tobacco; the Church’s standard is a higher plane where smoking is not done. The world’s norm may permit men and women social drinking; the Lord’s church lifts its people to a norm of total abstinence." - President Kimball November 1980 "President Kimball Speaks Out on Morality" ) Discussion: When we see our morals start to fall to the world's standards then we need to Stop and lift our morals back up to the Lord's standard.
* Narrow Minded Gossiping... Slow down and think before you speak ("This topic of judging others could actually be taught in a two-word sermon. When it comes to hating, gossiping, ignoring, ridiculing, holding grudges, or wanting to cause harm, please apply the following: Stop it!" - President Uchtdorf April 2012 General Conference "The Merciful Obtain Mercy") Discussion: Before we say something unkind we need to slow down think about what we are about to say and if it is not going to be uplifting then stop and not say it!
* Potholes of Lies... Warning don't get caught up in a pothole of lies ("A great need today is for leadership that exemplifies truth, honesty, and decency in both public and private life. Honesty is not only the best policy, it is the only policy!" - Elder David B. Haight October 1987 General Conference "Ethics and Honesty")Discussion: When we start telling one little lie, then another, and then pretty soon we have dug our selves into a whole hole of lies. As Elder Haight states, "Honesty is the only Policy!"
* Steep incline of disobedience... Keep Right and be Obedient ("A knowledge of truth and the answers to our greatest questions come to us as we are obedient to the commandments of God. We learn obedience throughout our lives...All prophets, ancient and modern, have known that obedience is essential to our salvation." - President Monson April 2013 General Conference "Obedience Brings Blessings") Discussion- We want to avoid getting slowed down in this life by staying in the lane of disobedience. Instead we need to heed the counsel of our prophets for they know that "obedience is essential to our salvation".
* Cliff of inappropriate music and entertainment... Danger avoid the Cliff of Inappropriate Music and Entertainment ("Our Heavenly Father has counseled us to seek after “anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy.” (A of F 1:13.) Whatever you read, listen to, or watch makes an impression on you." President Monson October 1990 General Conference "The Lighthouse of the Lord") Discussion: Stay away from that cliff! Music has the ability to either bring the Spirit in or to kick the Spirit out! Listen to President Monson's counsel and read, listen to, and watch only those things that will leave a good, uplifting impression on you.
* Broken Sabbath Day Observance... Do Not Enter the Road that will lead to Breaking the Sabbath Day Observance! ("Not pursuing your “own pleasure” on the Sabbath requires self-discipline. You may have to deny yourself of something you might like. If you choose to delight yourself in the Lord, you will not permit yourself to treat it as any other day. Routine and recreational activities can be done some other time." - President Nelson April 2015 General Conference "The Sabbath is a Delight") Discussion: Isn't it wonderful to know that the Sabbath was made for our benefit. We don't want to break such a precious gift do we??
What else have the primary children learned this month? Here are links to this month's past sharing times:
- 2016 LDS Sharing Time Ideas for March Week 1: Prophets speak for Heavenly Father.
- 2016 LDS Sharing Time Ideas for March Week 2: Prophets speak for Heavenly Father.
- 2016 LDS Sharing Time Ideas for March Week 3: We are led by a living prophet today.
Want more ideas:
- LDS Sharing Time Ideas for March 2015 Week 3: There is safety in following the prophet.
- LDS Sharing Time Ideas for March 2015 Week 4: God speaks through prophets.
- LDS Sharing Time May 2014 Week 1: God speaks to us through prophets.
- LDS Primary Sharing Time May 2014 Week 4: The prophet speaks to us at general conference
- LDS Sharing Time May 2014 Week #3: My family will be blessed as we follow the prophet.
- LDS Sharing Time May 2014 Week 2: The prophets in the scriptures are examples to my family.
- LDS Sharing Time Ideas for March 2015 Week 2: Prophets testify of Jesus Christ
- LDS Sharing Time Ideas for March 2015 Week 1: Prophets are called by God.
- LDS Sharing Time Ideas for October 2015 Week 1: Following the prophet will help us come unto Christ.
- Family Home Evening on the First Presidency Message: "Follow the Prophets"
Click this link for past Sharing Time post: LDS Primary Sharing Time Ideas
***Basic ideas for this sharing time came from the 2016 Outline for Sharing Time, you can find a link here: 2016 Outline for Sharing Time