2016 Sharing Time Outline Theme: "I Know the Scriptures Are True"
March 2016 Sharing Time Topic: Heavenly Father Speaks to Us through His Prophets
March 2016 Scripture: “What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, … whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same” (D&C 1:38).
March 2016 Song: “Stand for the Right” (CS, 159)
March Week 2 Topic: Prophets speak for Heavenly Father.
March Week 2 Topic: Prophets speak for Heavenly Father.
(Name cards for each Latter-day Prophet as well as a message from each one)
Prayerfully study and think about what the specific needs of your primary are and how you can teach them this doctrine. A fun article with things about the latter-day prophets: Latter-day Prophets-Friend
Sharing Time Instruction:
Begin by inviting the primary children to sing, "Latter-day Prophets" Here are the pictures of the latter-day prophets if you need them (you could also place the names by them, see free download):
- Joseph Smith - The Testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith
- Brigham Young- Teachings: Brigham Young
- John Taylor - Teachings: John Taylor
- Wilford Woodruff- Teachings: Wilford Woodruff
- Lorenzo Snow - Teachings: Lorenzo Snow
- Joseph F. Smith - Teachings: Joseph F. Smith
- Heber J. Grant - Teachings: Heber J. Grant
- George Albert Smith - Teachings: George Albert Smith
- David O. McKay - Teachings: David O. McKay
- Joseph Fielding Smith - Teachings: Joseph Fielding Smith
- Harold B. Lee - Teachings: Harold B. Lee
- Spencer W. Kimball - Teachings: Spencer W. Kimball
- Ezra Taft Benson - Teachings: Ezra Taft Benson
- Howard W. Hunter - Teachings: Howard W. Hunter
- Gordon B. Hinckley - Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley: Be a Little Kinder
- Thomas S. Monson - You Make a Difference
When you are done singing the song, show the children some scriptures. Explain that we know (learned last week) that Heavenly Father spoke to his prophets anciently and they wrote down the things Heavenly Father wanted us to know, in these scriptures. Ask the children, what about today, how do the prophets speak for Heavenly Father, to us today? Invite the primary children to share their answers to that question. Answers might include: General Conference, Church magazines, In articles on the internet or social media, Local Conferences when an apostle is present, etc.
In three boxes or gift bags place in one a copy of the Friend Magazine, in another place a copy of the Ensign Magazine or Liahona and in the last place a copy of the New Era Magazine. (All of these should be available in the library. If they are not, you can go on line and print out an article from each) Invite a primary child to come up and open one of the boxes/bags and pull out what is inside. Ask the children what it is? Continue with each one, discussing each magazine. Discussion might include: Friend Magazine- in the friend magazine we can read messages from the prophets that are specifically for the primary age children. Find one of these message inside of the magazine and read some of it to the primary children. Ensign Magazine or Liahona- in the Ensign Magazine or Liahona we will find messages from the prophet, one such message that is in there each month is the First Presidency Message. These messages can help bless our families. If time allows you could read some of the First Presidency Message. New Era Magazine- in the New Era Magazine there are messages for the youth of the church. If time allows read one of these messages.
Show the primary children the month's theme poster (see above download), invite them to stand up and repeat: "Prophets speak for Heavenly Father" Heavenly Father loves us so much that he wants to speak to us and give us guidance and direction that we need right now in our lives, He does this by speaking through His Latter-day prophets.
|See all the Prophet Messages in the Free Download|
Before hand place some messages on the board (see above download), along with the pictures of the prophets and/or the names of the prophets. Invite a primary child to come up and choose one on the messages, invite them to read it to the rest of the primary. Then invite them to try to match it with which prophet would have said that. You may have to give them a clue such as, this prophet's last name starts with a "M". If the rest of the primary children think that it was placed by the right person have them do an action like stand up, touch their nose, or raise their hands. Continue with the messages as long as time will allow.
Close by sharing your testimony that even today prophets speak for Heavenly Father.
What else have the primary children learned this month? Here are links to this month's past sharing times:
Want more ideas:
- LDS Sharing Time Ideas for March 2015 Week 3: There is safety in following the prophet.
- LDS Sharing Time Ideas for March 2015 Week 4: God speaks through prophets.
- LDS Sharing Time May 2014 Week 1: God speaks to us through prophets.
- LDS Primary Sharing Time May 2014 Week 4: The prophet speaks to us at general conference
- LDS Sharing Time May 2014 Week #3: My family will be blessed as we follow the prophet.
- LDS Sharing Time May 2014 Week 2: The prophets in the scriptures are examples to my family.
- LDS Sharing Time Ideas for March 2015 Week 2: Prophets testify of Jesus Christ
- LDS Sharing Time Ideas for March 2015 Week 1: Prophets are called by God.
- LDS Sharing Time Ideas for October 2015 Week 1: Following the prophet will help us come unto Christ.
- Family Home Evening on the First Presidency Message: "Follow the Prophets"
Click this link for past Sharing Time post: LDS Primary Sharing Time Ideas
***Basic ideas for this sharing time came from the 2016 Outline for Sharing Time, you can find a link here: 2016 Outline for Sharing Time