July 2015 Sharing Time Topic: I Can Follow Jesus Christ’s Example
July 2015 Scripture: Jesus said, “Come, follow me” (Luke 18:22).
July Week 1 Topic: Jesus Christ always obeyed Heavenly Father.
Free Printables: (Printing Tip: Click on image to open and then save image to your computer. You can then print the image from your computer.)
Prayerfully study and think about what the specific needs of your primary are and how you can teach them this doctrine.
Sharing Time Instruction:
Begin by inviting all of the primary children to stand up and play a little game with you. It is going to be a game of "Teacher Says". To play the game, each time you say "Teacher Says (give them an action to do)" they will do that action. But if you do not say, "Teacher Says" before giving the action then they should not do the action. So for example, "Teacher says, touch your nose" Then the kids would touch their nose. But if you said, "Put your hands on your hips" Then they should not do that action. If they do do the action then they will need to sit down. Continue this game for a little bit. Then thank all of the children for playing. Write the word "OBEY" on the board. Ask the children if they know what that word means. Explain that when we obey we follow a direction or request.
Show the children the theme poster and invite them to repeat the phrase with you, "Jesus Christ always obeyed Heavenly Father."
On the board next to the word "OBEY" write the word "ALWAYS" invite the children to share what that word means. Always means at all times!
Place some pictures of the Savior around the room. Invite a primary child to find one of the pictures. Invite them to share with the class, what the picture depicts and how the Savior is obeying His Father. Continue with each picture. (see picture links below)
Teach the children the words to the first verse of, "I Will Always Obey". Here is a link to the sheet music, "I Will Always Obey". Invite the children to sing the first verse.
Invite the children to share what they can do to be obedient.
Close by sharing your testimony of the great blessing that will come as we are obedient.
- Young Jesus Teaching in the Temple: Scripture reference, Luke 2:46-49. Explanation: Jesus was obedient because we was always going about His Father's will. He we teaching His Father's word.
- Jesus' Baptism: Scripture reference: Luke 3:21-22. Explanation: Jesus was baptized even though He was without sin, because of His obedience to His Father.
- Jesus Washing the Apostles’ Feet: Scripture Reference: John 13:15-17. Explanation: Jesus loved and served all people. Obeying His Father's commandment to Love one another and providing an example for us to follow.
- The Atonement: Scripture Reference: Alma 7:11-13. Explanation: Jesus showed obedience as He prayed to His Father. Suffering the pains and the sins of the world. At one point saying, "Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done." (Luke 22:42)
- The Crucifixion: Scripture Reference: Luke 23:33-46. Explanation: Jesus showed the ultimate obedience to His Father as He laid down His life for all men. At any point He had the power to stop what was happening. But He submitted Himself to His Father's will.
Click this link for past Sharing Time post: LDS Primary Sharing Time Ideas