For June 2015 the topic for "Come Follow Me" is,
Since, each organization has their own outlines and each lesson will need to be specified to the individual class members and there are already amazing outlines that can be used for guidance, I am only going to share some general ideas that can just be used as supplements. The great thing about this program is to allow the spirit to guide you to the needs of the youth in your class. Prepare before hand, Pray for guidance, Listen to the Promptings of the Spirit and invite the youth to do the same.
Here is the Scripture for the month:
“The keys of the kingdom of God are committed unto man on the earth” (D&C 65:2).
Lesson Ideas: There are so many topics to choose from this month. I am just giving supplemental ideas to a few of them. Please refer to the church's website for the wonderful outlines they have for all of the topics, see links below. A great idea to begin each lesson is to invite each class member to come with a scripture or spiritual thought to share with the rest of the class. (When I was a youth we did this in one of my classes, it is a class I loved to attend and had the most participation in it.)
Aaronic Priesthood: (See ideas above under Young Women)
- How can I participate effectively in councils in the Church? Watch the video, "Participate in Councils". Invite the youth to share with you what the video taught them about participating in councils. Write down what they say onto the board. Make sure you write, "A Revelatory Experience" on the board. Invite the youth to discuss some things they can do to prepare to participate in councils. Invite the youth to share any examples or experiences they have had while serving on councils (such as class & quorum presidency meetings and BYC).
- How do women and priesthood holders work together to build the kingdom of God? Before hand prepare to bring a string or long piece of yarn and a toilet paper roll. On the toilet paper roll write with sharpie marker, "Building the Kingdom of God". Invite a youth to come up and hold one end of the rope ask them to suspend the toilet paper roll in the end by holding on end of the string. They should not be able to do this. Invite another class member to come up and have them hold the other end of the string, with the toilet paper roll strung through the middle and the other youth holding the opposite end. Invite them to suspend the roll in the air. Explain to the youth that Heavenly Father create male and female. Each have a distinct roll and each are NECESSARY in working together to build the kingdom of God. As a class read through "THE FAMILY: A PROCLAMATION TO THE WORLD" Invite the youth to point out the different roles each person has, as well as how men and women can work together to build the kingdom of God. Invite the youth to share how they can prepare now to have the family relationships described in the proclamation.
- Why is it important to follow the counsel given by priesthood leaders?
- How can using scripture study skills help me learn more about the priesthood?
- How can I use stories to teach others about the priesthood?
For more ideas here are my ideas from June 2014: LDS Come Follow Me Lesson & Mutual Ideas, June 2014: Priesthood and Priesthood Keys
Idea's for Mutual: Here is a link to the Youth Activities Planning Site. *** This site is amazing! We recently had a short little training on this site at one of our Round Tables. It is a great resource for planning activities. It will only continue to grow as wards submit more ideas. One really need thing about it is it can link the activities right into your stake or ward calendars. ***
Printing tip: Click on the image and save to your computer. You will then be able to print the image from your computer.