Objective of Activity: For the youth to work together to accomplish a common purpose. To learn baking, decorating and display skills and use their creativity.
Supplies Needed for the Activity:
- Cake Mix (one for each group)
- Frosting (one container for each group)
- Add-in items to choose from for three categories: Heart (ex. candy hearts, red candies, cherry jello powder, chocolate hearts, etc.); Mind (ex. nerds, smarties, nuts, etc.); Strength (ex. orange is the color for strength, so anything orange like orange juice concentrate, pumpkin puree, mandarin oranges, etc.) Each group will need to get an add-in from each category.
- Basket of supplies for each group: in the baskets their could be- a couple of paper plates and plastic or paper cups to make a cake stand, scrapbook paper and ribbon to decorate cake stand, a glue gun and glue sticks, some plastic knifes, Ziploc baggies for frosting, some scissors, and cup cake liners.
- A bag or box for each group to put their supplies in.
- Each hosting house will need: Oil, eggs, water, measuring cups, measuring spoons, mixing bowl and mixer, cupcake tins, spatula, spoon, oven, sharp knife and cutting board.
How to Carry out the Activity:
After each group had their supplies, they were each given an hour to make, decorate, return to church and display their cupcakes to be judged. The rule was they had to incorporate each of the three add-ins into the cupcakes. The could be used in the batter, the frosting or as a cupcake topper/decoration.
The left over cupcakes were used as the refreshments for the activity.
This was a very fun and delicious activity!!!