My kids love General Conference, probably as much as I do. I have to giggle just a little when I see them get ready the morning of conference. They gather up crayons and activities to help keep them quiet and paying attention during conference.
Like my children I also like to prepare for conference. Preparation for me usually includes, preparing and initiation a Family Home Evening about preparing for General Conference. It also includes personal preparation, such as scripture reading, prayer and pondering. I know that during conference we can receive personal revelation and guidance for the things going on in our own personal lives. As I ponder, I think about the things I would like help or guidance on in my life. Then I will pray that my heart and mind might be open to the promptings of the Spirit. That I might receive the revelations I need in my life. Another thing I love to do, is take notes!! I feel like I pay better attention as I take notes as well as it helps me record the things that stick out to me.
It is an amazing blessing to be able to receive direction from God's prophets! In the craziness of the world it is nice to have a beacon in the night, giving us light and direction, that we might stay safely on the path that will lead to eternal happiness.
Some Sharing Time Outline Ideas that could be converted into a fun Family Home Evening:
- The prophet speaks to us at general conference.
- LDS Sharing Time Ideas for March 2015 Week 4: God speaks through prophets.
Links to some other great FHE ideas:
- Family Home Evening on Applying the Messages and Directions of the Prophet into our lives Family Home
- Evening on Preparing To Get the Most Out of General Conference
- Family Home Evening on Preparing Ourselves for LDS General Conference
- Family Home Evening on How We can Apply The Teachings From General Conference in Our Lives
- Family Home Evening on Families Are Blessed When They Follow the Prophet (May 2014 Sharing time theme)
- Family Home Evening on Making Preparations to Get the Most Out of General Conference
General Conference Bingo : Attach a small package of spacers (small cereals,candy, etc.)
Full Sheet of General Conference fun:
Reverse General Conference Bingo
General Conference Activity Sheet
Black and White Version:
What did I learn from General Conference (FHE idea)
Resources found on LDS.ORG: